The simple way of traveling with two passports.

farmto table.png

When I decided to get my second passport, I thought oh this is going to be cool. Right away, once the romantic goggles were pulled off, I started to figure out how in the world can I travel with two passports. 

When I came back from Germany a few years ago, I remember a couple of Canadian travelers wondering the same thing. Sure customs seemed to be happy to help, but that might have been because we were in Chicago, and it wasn’t that busy. I am sure that job can only be cheery for so long.

So, the question remains, How do you travel with two passports?
Well, lucky you I have discovered the stupidly easy way. Only after I had foolishly looked at other blogs. Seriously, my head is still screwed on backwards.

I simply shut that off and talked it over with the Consulate of my second country. Below you will find that the US travel site-where you also go to apply for your US passport, will pretty much say the same thing.


US travel State says:

 Most U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. nationality. Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose nationality.


Now pay attention:

When you leave country A, you leave with Country A’s passport. (Translation: you leave your home country you use your home country passport.)

As you enter country B, you enter using country B’s passport. (Translation: you enter your second home country with the second home country’s passport.)


Here is a better transtlation

American is leaving the US. They purchase a ticket using their US passport and then checking into their international flight using their US passport.

They enter France. At customs they hand the Customs their French passport. (NOTE: France, and many other European counties do not STAMP your passport because you are a citizen of the EU. So upon arriving back to the US YOU WILL NOT HAVE A STAMP COMING OR GOING! Be sure to let the US Customs guy you are an EU citizen.) 

If you are a UK and US citizen I would check with the UK travel agency or with the Consulate regarding entered and exiting stamps.

As you make your way back you do the reverse. You leave country B using country B’s passport and enter country a using country A’s passport. 

See not as hard as some other sites make it out to be.

Wiping forehead now…

If you are one of those unique people who have a third passport, Bless you! I have no idea how you would travel. Everything that I’ve read gives me a headache. In a nut shell it seems as though you are to fly to a neutral country, then fly to your destination using your passport of choice. I don’t know! Here is an article that may help you!

Traveling with three passports

Here is another site that breaks down what I wrote above even further. 

Remember if you are really confused, contact your local Consulate, that is what they are there for!

Until Next time!


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: